Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Extreme Makeover: Me Edition




Every week Amber hosts EM:ME and this week she asked

How are you being a healthy role model for your children?


Oh boy. I try, I really try to be a good role model for them. The whole "practice what you preach" is something I try to follow..at least when they are around and can see me!

I try to eat healthy meals. At dinner we all eat together and I make sure we have healthy yummy tasting food with several food groups. We alwqays have a veggie with dinner, something I was not great about before having kids. I have given up my breakfast soda once again and am drinking more water. I figure if I won't let my kids have soda I can at least not drink it in the morning. And since I won't let them drink a lot of lemonade and sugary drinks I try to drink more water.

When it comes to how I talk about myself I never refer to myself as fat or needing to lose weight when Madeline and Owen are around. I don't want them to grow up thinking they need to be "skinny" or lose weight. I do encourage both kids to play outside and be active. We limit tv time to help cut down on the sitting-on-the-butt-time.

I walk with the kids often and do tell them that I am exercising. Madeline asks about it and I tell her I like to take walks but that it is also exercise and good for me. We talk about being healthy as well.

I am not the worlds best role model. I sneak my treats when the kids are sleeping and don't notice me. I long for the days when they were clueless to what I was eating, but those days are long gone! I certainly snack less lately. The reason for this is both M and O were snacking to much and not eating real meals, basically they were grazing all day long. Since I cut down on there snacks times (one between breakfast and lunch and one between lunch and dinner) I cut down on mine as well.


I am still down the 2 lbs that I lost after weaning Owen and then getting sick. I guess it is gone to stay!!


For more EM:ME visit Amber's blog

1 comment:

jennykate77 said...

Sounds like you're doing a great job of being a good role model! Offering kiddos veggies and healthy snacks is great. Also, I think eating meals together as a family is HUGE!

Congrats on the 2 pounds!

Hope you guys are having a great week!