Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Homemade Wipes

I have been wanting to make my own wipes for a while. We use cloth diapers 90% of the time but have been using disposable wipes all along. I ahve read about cloth wipes and looked into buying them, but they are not cheap. And I wasn't sure I would like them.


Then someone suggested making my own out of fabric. I wanted to do something a little easier. One day I was in the dollar store and found baby washclothes in packs of 4 for $1 each! To make my wipes I bought 7 packs and then scrounged around the house for any other other baby washclothes that were old and stained (becuase they were just going to get stained anyway!). I ended up with a total of 40 (old and new). I then found two plastic containers from dispoable wipes. I made a liquid solution of 2 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of baby shampoo and 2 tablespoons of olive oil for each contianer. I added the washclothes and now I have wipes! They worked really well, but I didn't love the smell with the olive oil. After we finished one set I made a new solution using only water and shampoo and I like it much better. I may try adding baby oil (to keep from drying out Ben and Owen's skin) but I am not sure.


The total cost for my wipes to start up was less than $10. A box of wipes costs me $11 and we go through one every two months, sometimes quicker. To refill the solution each time will cost less than 50 cents, so I am saving over $50 a year by doing this. And since I wash my diapers I just throw the wipes in the diaper pail with the diapers. It is really easy and quick. I am being less wasteful and it costs less as well.


I will still use disposable wipes when traveling for now, but I hope to figure out a way to bring the wet cloth wipes with me.

No comments: