Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Things I wish I knew...



I wish someone had sat me down and told me what life would be like as a stay at home mom. I remember sitting and watching a mom walk her baby while at work one day and wishing that was me. A year later it was. But I never thought about what the change from being a working wife to being a stay at home mom and wife.

I never thought about the change from working full time to being a mom full time. I wish someone had told me that it isn't always an easy transition, no matter how much you want it. And that it is okay to be sad for your old life as well as happy with your new life.

I wish someone had told me that it doesn't always take three months to get pregnant. Sometimes it happens a LOT quicker. Luckily we learned after Madeline was born and adjusted our planning schedule for Owen and Ben.

I wish someone had told me how much my relationhip with my husband would change. I love him more now that I did when we were married. No one warned be about that. And no one warned me that having a child could put a strain on us as we navigated the waters of becoming parents. We are stronger for it, but knowing beforehand would have been helpful!

I wish someone had told me what post partum depression was. This is something no one likes to talk about. I am guilty of this as well. It took 6 months before I realized that I needed to get help dealing with it and that it was okay to ask for help.

I wish someone had told me that my body would go haywire and I would develop gestational diabetes. I never knew it was even possible to develop diabetes for only the time of being pregnant until it happened to me. Three times. And by the way, telling a gestational diabetic that it could be worse it NOT helpful!

I wish someone had told me that breast feeding HURTS! It is so worthwhile and special and I truly enjoy it AFTER the first two weeks are over.

I wish someone had told me how happy and sad I would be at the same time as my children get older. Yes they warn you that time goes by quickly. But no one warned me that while I would be happy to see my children reach new milestones that I would also be sad that they will never be babies again. (It becomes clearer why I have three kids now doesn't it)

I wish someone had told me that I would worry a LOT more.

I wish someone had told me how many changes I would want to make to my life after having kids- dietary, exercise, where I live- all for my children not for me.

I wish someone had told me how hard it is to adapt to my new body. Bigger breasts, flabby tummy, extra weight. It is all worth it- my three kids are worth a whole lot more- but a warning would have been nice!

I love being a mom. It is the best job I have ever had. But why aren't we more honest about it?

What do you wish someone had told you before you became a mom?

1 comment:

Keli said...

Okay, I'm crying now. Thanks! LOL But for real. Amen. You said it PERFECTLY. Things have changed 100% and while sometimes I moan and complain, I woudn't have it anyother way.

"I wish someone had told me how happy and sad I would be at the same time as my children get older. Yes they warn you that time goes by quickly. But no one warned me that while I would be happy to see my children reach new milestones that I would also be sad that they will never be babies again. (It becomes clearer why I have three kids now doesn't it)"

Hubby and I are constantly trying to figure out where to add another kid in the budget. We desperatly want more but don't want to have to struggle any more than we already are. It breaks my heart seeing my boys grow up and possibly knowing we wont' have another baby around here. ;(


Anyway, thanks for linking up to Friendly Wednesday!

www.savingthosedollars.blogspot.com