Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Busy Day (homemade bread update!)

Today was exhausting! I started the day at 5 am going to the gym. Yes, that is 5 am. For anyone who is a morning person this is a great time. I am not not a morning person, but I am not a 5 am morning person (except when it involves a nursing newborn). However I dragged my butt to the gym and went about 3.5 miles on the elliptical. Not a shabby way to start the day.

Then the kids were up at 7 am. By 8 they were fed and bored. So we did an art project. I found a great hand a foot project at Just For Fun. We made the peacocks since big rugrat loves to see them at the zoo. Both little and big rugrat made one and big rugrat added some feathers I had in my arts and crafts box. By 8:30 it was time for a little tv break.
We then headed out to do errands and went to the park (no rain!!!). After rugrats were fed and down for naps I MADE MY BREAD. It came out good! I didn't have quite enough dough to make a full loaf, but the small loaf I made came out good. I am going to the store tomorrow to buy more flour. All I had to do was take it out of the fridge, round it out a little, let it sit for about 1 1/2 hours and then bake it. No kneading. No mixing. All done. If I had followed the real recipes I would have enough dought for about three loaves but well, I didn't look at my flour bin like I should have! I want to try the soft crust bread, Jon likes sandwiches and said he would prefer the soft crust. It uses a little sugar and some butter in addition to the other ingredients. However it has none of the preservatives that the stuff you buy in the store has. After reading the Unhealthy Truth recently I have begun reading my labels and started slowly switching over to more organic and homemade foods. (this week we tried organic eggs, canned organic beans and organic mac and cheese). Anyway I will definatly be trying more recipes from the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day and I can't wait for my own copy to come in.
We ended the day with house hunting. It is getting a little discouraging. We saw a house that was in horrible repair (it smelled like my kids diaper pail) and needed WAY too much work. Then we saw an older house that was in great repair but Jon doesn't want an old house. We drove by a third house that could be our dream house but is just not going to fit in the budget. *sigh* It's not like we have to move, but it would be nice to be in a better school district and have a little more room. The hardest part for me is the interim and questions- will we find a house? will we find a buyer for our house? how much will our mortage be? is this a good idea? In the end it will all work out but since big rugrat was born and the post partum depression afterwards changes have been a lot harder for me. I get anxious a lot easier than I used to and this possible move is not helping the anxiety.

Okay, enough complaining. I am lucky enough to be able to stay home with my kids and have a wonderful husband who also happens to be my best friend. We have a home we love, so if we can't find another one who am I to complain?

Off to sleep, tomorrow is another busy day!

No comments: