Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Going Organic

Since we hae decided that we will eat as much organic food as we can I have noticed one large problem- I cannot find coupons for organic food! I have found some on Stonyfield's website but that is about it.
I am convinced now after what I have read and heard (and there is still so much more I want to read) that eating organic food it what is best for my family. But I am frugal by nature and am having trouble at times reconciling myself to my new grocery bills. I normally shop the sales and we are taking the changeover slowly, but it is still sticker shock. This week regular milk is on sale for $2.50 a gallon. Depending on where you live this may seem cheap or expensive. Here that is cheap, almost a $1 off of the normal store brand price and the sale is for garelic (name brand). Now when I go buy my organic store brand milk I will pay almost $6 a gallon. The frugal part of me wants to shop the sale this week. The go-organic part of me says don't go back to the cheaper stuff, each time you do it will be harder and harder to spend the extra money even though I know it is better all around.
I switched the milk because my kids drink so much of it. I knew it would be expensive but it is something we drink multiple times a day so it seemed like a good place to start. I also switched my fresh fruits to organic this week and will be working on vegetables next. Meat will be the last organic thing I buy. I want to do some research and find a place where I can buy organic meat in bulk and get a better price. There is a Whole Foods store about 45 minutes away, but if it is a good price I will make the trip every month or so and stock up on meats and non-perishables. This weekend I will make my trip to Wal-Mart and check out there organic supplies.
So far we have switched:
apples
bananas
carrots
milk
yogurt
eggs
mac and cheese (I know, random)
canned beans
canned tomatoes

This week I would like to look into organic flour and sugar as well as other fresh veggies. I am going to investigate organic snack foods as well. I want to deplete the supply that we have at home before I buy organic things. I just cannot throw out the food I have already bought, I can't donate it either, we just can't afford to to the change that way. But I really believe that the slow change will be better and easier to stick to in the long run.

No comments: