Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Money Saving Tuesday

I am so excited to go to the Farmers Market this week. We have a very local farmers market in my city that begins in early May and continues to the fall. They have fresh everything for very decent prices. Yes I can sometimes find things cheaper at my local produce store, or even on sale at the grocery store. But nothing this fresh. And for the fact that these items are trucked in that day the prices are awesome. I can't afford to feed my family only organic, it just isn't in our budget as much as I would like it to be. But some of these farms are organic and since they are selling direct it will be much much cheaper. Even if they aren't organic, they are fresh which is the next best thing for me.

We did not go very often last year, it just didn't work out. And I missed it very much. When Jon and I first found the farmers market the second summer after we were married we went almost every week. I would buy just enough produce for the week (a few carrots, three potatos, a couple of peppers and onions) and enjoy looking at all the flowers and bakery items that I would also somtimes splurge on.

Then Madeline was born. And it got a lot harder to go. I don't know why, I look back and think that one child was soooooooooooo amazingly easy. Why didn't I take advantage of it more? But I didn't and we didn't eat as much fresh produce.

Then they started opening the famers market after lunch when my kids nap. And with Jon not home it just became very difficult to go. I guess I didn't have enough motivation.

But this summer I am motivated. In the last year I have learned a lot more about what they do to our food and I think a lot more about what foods I buy and what I cook. I can still be a LOT better about my shopping and meal planning but I have also come a long way from last year. I am hoping to use the farmer's market on a weekly basis to supplement my garden. And also to teach my kids that food doesn't just come from the grocery store. They can meet people who work on farms as well. I am hoping that by going to the market and getting excited about it they will be willing to try more vegetables (they are pretty good about their vegetables, but I would like them to try a few more fresh items).

This week is our first trip and I can't wait to see what fresh produce they have.

No comments: