Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Recipe Experimentation- Success!

I have been told pumpkin bread is great and if you add chocolate chips it gets even better. I never made pumpkin bread before today.
I wanted something my kids and Jon would like but something that fit with my weight watchers plan. I hate cooking for my family and not being able to eat it. Plus if it doesn't fit with my diet plan then it isn't as healthy as it could be and that isn't great for my kids either.
I took two recipes that I found (one through weight watchers and at What's For Lunch at Our House) and ended up with a bread that my kids and I love! My mother in law who is visitng likes it as well. (Jon isn't home yet so he hasn't given his opinion.)

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread:

1 1/2 cups of flour
1 1/2 cups of oats (I use slow cooking)
2 cups of pumpkin
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup of white sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup chocolate chips (I used mini and regular sized becuase it is what we have)
1/2 cup of applesauce
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat loaf pan with non stick spray.

Mix the sugar, vanilla and applesauce.

Add in pumpkin and eggs and mix well.

Add in dry ingredients. Mix until moist.

Pour into loaf pan and cook 50 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and then place on cooling rack. When it is cool slice and enjoy.


I LOVE to cook but I never experiement with recipes, I just follow what I know has had good results. This was an experiment. I put two recipes together and also substituted applesauce for the oil and butter. And the results were great. I am taking a slice to work tonight and I imagine much of the loaf will be gone when I get home.

No comments: