Pages

Friday, May 23, 2014

7 Quick Takes Volume 9

So it's been about a year since I posted here.  Yes, a full year.  My last post was Quick Takes volume 8. I guess coming back with a Quick Takes entry is a good sign?  Or maybe not, we'll see.

This week, since it's been a year, I'm going with 7 things that have changed for us in the last year.

1.
Our address.  We moved from the city to the town and it's been a good move.  The house is the same square footage BUT we gained a full basement (the previous house was a slab) and an attic that can and will be converted to one or two more bedrooms in the near future.

2.
No more training wheels for Owen or Madeline.  That is a very recent development and both kids are extremely proud of themselves.  It's great that our street is so quiet that they can ride on it as long as the pay attention to cars. Very few cars come down the street and the ones that do are aware that there are several kids living in the neighborhood.

3.
Jon's commute!  He is very happy with his less than ten minute drive to work each day.  One reason we chose the town is because he teaches here.  He loves seeing his students out and about in the community, and in our own neighborhood.

4.
My job status.  I still consider myself a stay at home mom. But I did take on a part time job in the fall at a children's clothing store.  It is a flexible schedule so I only work when Jon is home, and I work less than 15 hours a week.  But in addition to the padding to our income that it provides I also scored a great discount on clothing for the kids.  With four kids to clothe, and hand me downs that don't always make it all the way down, this has been great for our budget!

5.
We are saving for a big vacation next year.  Jon and I talked and talked and we decided that we would take a little money each week and put it aside so that next year we can take the kids to Disney.  We both want to go but have a hard time putting that much debt on our credit cards.  So it will take a longer BUT we will go without going into debt.  That works for me!

6.
In the fall we will be homeschooling our oldest three kids.  It has taken many discussion between Jon and I, but after a few years of talking about the pros and cons we have decided that the pros win.  We have not told the kids but starting in the fall they will be going to school at home.  I am hopeful they will be excited about it but I am not naïve enough to think that there will not be a few bumps along the road. 

7.
Honestly everything and nothing at the same time.  So many little things have changed over the year, normal things, that it would take forever to list them all. 

I want to keep up with blogging again.  I need an outlet to write things down and when I was writing here I had a place to do that.  I just need to make the time to do it.  A few more hours in the day wouldn't hurt!

Linking up with Conversion Diary

No comments: