Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Four weeks into homeschooling...

This is our first official year homeschooling.  I've worked with each of the kids when they were three on their letters in lieu of sending them to preschool at that age.  We learned colors. letters, the numbers 1-10, fun crafts and lots of read aloud time.  But while it was planned and organized it was also easy going and a follow the lead of the kid type of thing.  Because of that I thought I had some inkling to what homeschooling full time with four kids was like.

I.  Was.  Wrong.

Oh my word was I wrong. 

You know those blogs where you stop by and see pictures of the kids doing their  work?  And you see all these lovely printables that the author of the blog created and set out for your use?  And they still have time to do other things as well? I love those blogs. I am incredibly thankful for those blogs.

This is not one of those blogs. 

I love reading those blogs.  but now they kind of make me feel less than somehow.  And I KNOW I shouldn't compare.  But at the same time I keep thinking why?  Why can't my homeschool life be like that?

Well for one this is my first year.

For another I have four kids ranging in age from 2 to 8.

I have a 6 year old who is not having an easy time learning to read. 

I have an 8 year old who is working on adjusting her attitude.

And I have a 4 year old who deserves a post all of his own. 

Oh and let's not forget the 2 year old who has made it his life's mission to create chaos whenever possible.  (Okay its not that bad.  Most of the time.)

But.

We are adjusting.  The days are becoming more routine.  I like being with my kids.  They are adjusting to not seeing school friends every day.  We are branching out and finding a new network of homeschoolers in our area.  And we are all making new friends.

It's been four weeks.  From what I have heard it takes time, much more than four weeks. That can be hard to hear, that it might be like this for awhile and we need time. Time to get adjusted.  Time to get to know my kids as students and them to know me as teacher.  Time to find curriculum that works for us.  And lots of patience during this time. 

We'll get there.  I'm learning to better prepare things for Wyatt.  I am learning how to handle Madeline's meltdowns.  And I am slowing down the reading for Owen.  Ben has his jobs and we work through his letters and numbers slowly.  We are teaching each other.

And as long the chaos doesn't get too uncontrollable we will all be fine.

I still wouldn't trade it for anything.  Even on the hard days, where I have questioned if I did the right thing.  I truly do not want to re-enroll the kids in public school right now.  I want to continue this path and see where it leads us.  I am eager to learn more and grow more. 

With time.

No comments: