Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Advent- week 2

Countdown to Christmas


December is flying by. This happens to me with every holiday. I start by feeling like I have tons of time to get ready. And then before I know it the time is gone and I am scrambling to get everything done. This may have something to do with the three children I have running around, but I'm not putting all of the blame on them.


We are continuing with our countdown to Christmas. Each day we take down another stocking and look inside to find our daily treat and our daily activity.



Friday we made a gumdrop tree. I found the idea at Chasing Cheerios last year. Madeline and Owen had a great time. They had so much fun we went out to get more gumdrops to cover it more after we used the first bag up.

On Saturday we picked out our tree. We went to a local tree farm and Jon cut one down. Madeline and Owen had a great time helping. Here is Owen trying to help Jon pull the tree back to our car.




On Sunday we went and had breakfast with Santa. This is a yearly tradition and for the first time both of the older kids were willing to sit with Santa. We had no crying children!





Monday we decorated a gingerbread house. I buy the premade kit, I don't bake the house itself. But it is just as much fun decorating it. Last year I bought a pre-assembled house. This year I did not but it was not on purpose.


On Tuesday we were supposed to do a coloring page but Madeline had school and by the time she got home I was at work. I don't think Jon did the coloring page with them.

Yesterday we made Peppermint Fudge. The kids had a GREAT time crushing the mini candy canes while I melted the chocolate chips. I used the recipe at allrecipes but I substituted all semi sweet chocolate chips for the milk chocolate they suggested and we used candy canes instead of starlight mints. It came out great.

Today we are reading a version of the Christmas Story and making Bell Angels.

Although I think the biggest hit of the countdown is daily candy, both M and O seem to be enjoying the activities as much as I am.

Visit Liz at Sugarplum Creations for more Advent ideas!

1 comment:

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

The pre-assembled house looks like heaven to me! I don't ever bake the house, but I buy the kit not pre-assembled, and we're always tearing our hair out trying to get everything to stick, lol! We got our tree on Saturday too :) Looks like a great week! Thanks for linking up! :)