Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Frusterated

I am incredibly frustrated right now and I just need to write it out.  Right now my daughter attends a magnet school in our city.  This school is something we are incredibly happy with.  However as of the coming school year they are no longer a magnet school.  They are a regular school in the city.  Madeline can attend until 5th grade when she would move on to middle school.  However I learned today that Owen cannot attend there for kindergarten.  It is not our boundary school and he must attend our boundary school.

So now I simply don't know what to do.  I do not want to pull Madeline from a school she loves and that we love for her.  She already had a big change when we had her repeat kindergarten (a choice I would never take back) and she adapted very well and is thriving this year.  I don't want to put her through another change next year to a whole new school unless we switch districts.  Which is another problem- with our house on the market I hate to have her change schools only to change again once the house sells.  That would be four schools in three years (not counting preschool) for her. 

But at the same time I have no way to be in two places at once.  And both Madeline's and Owen's schools start at the same time.  There is a small 15 minute window but I don't know that it is enough time.  Plus the schools end at the same time.  No window.  If I am late to pick a child up they are not happy with me.  And I would be late to pick someone up every day. 

A bus would be a great solution, and it is something I am going to look into as Madeline qualifies for one year.  But that may not solve my problems depending on the time it picks up and drops off.  Plus the bus stop is not at my house, it is about 1/2 mile away.  So I would still need to drive her to the bus stop before driving Owen to school and the pick her up at the bus stop after picking Owen up from school.

I am very lost right now as to what decision to make.  I am incredibly frustrated with the schools for not having a plan in place for siblings.  When Madeline won a lottery seat for the magnet school I was told siblings could attend, they were grandfathered in.  But I was never told that the school could lose it's magnet standing.  I would not have made the choice that I did 2 years ago if I had known.

I am honestly just spilling my thoughts out on paper.  I don't know the right solution.  But if anyone has words of advice I'd appreciate them.

No comments: