Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Keeping House

As I was vaccuuming today I was thinking about how I am so not a good housekeeper. I do not title myself as that, I am a stay at home mom. But as the mom, heck as the woman in this house, the housework falls onto my shoulders.

It isn't that I hate housework. It isn't that my house is a wreck, although some would disagree with me on that front. I like my house to be clean, I just don't really like making it that way.

I try any shortcut I can find. I am what I like to refer to as a "just good enough" housekeeper. My house is just good enough. If you pull out the couch you are likely to find over a month's worth of dust. But honestly if you are pulling my couch out from the wall while you are here, you deserve what you get! And don't even ask when the last time I cleaned behind the oven or the refrigerator.

There are some chores taht are important and they get done as needed. My bathroom gets scrubbed every week, with some wipe downs in between as needed. My kitchen gets mopped each week or every two weeks depending on the necessity. Clothes are washed weekly. Vaccuuming happens every two days (more often in shedding season, thanks Isabelle!) and sweeping at least once a day. Windows are done once every week and a half. And dusting, well dusting happens when I touch something and realize it is dirty. I try to rotate through cleaning the toys once a month to once every six weeks- depending on when illness strikes! Stuffed animals are washed as they need it, some more often than others.

I have no real schedule, I have tried one in the past but it doesn't work. I need bigger blocks of time when children are sleeping to get certain chores done, while others can be accomplished while children are awake. So what chores get done is dependent on what we are doing that day and what is dirtiest.

I am a just good enough housekeeper who has the aspirations of being a better one but not the follow through!

1 comment:

2Wired2Tired said...

It's good that you don't hate housework, because I do! My husband's side of the family thinks my house is spotless, in comparison to the house I grew up in it's nowhere near.

Sounds like you have a good plan though. There's no need to go overboard and miss out on that quality kid time, cause the kids will remember the time they spent with you rather than how clean the house was.